Thursday, April 12, 2012

L-Left To Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust


Left to Tell is an autobiography by Immaculée Ilibagiza, recounting her life from early childhood to how she became a survivor of the Rwandan Holocaust, and found God during the darkest time in her life.  

This autobiography is nothing short of amazing.  The writing style makes you keep turning the page, wanting to learn more about each person and see what happens next.  I have never been so enthralled by a biography or autobiography, usually I find the facts boring and dull.  This account is both enjoyable to read and has a first-hand witness to the horrors of the genocide, which in my opinion is hard to do.  

I do not think this book is for everyone, but I would suggest it--I initially did not think it would be something I would enjoy reading, but decided to give it a chance.  I am glad I did.  

*Note*  This book does not attempt to shove religion down your throat, but it does talk about religion quite a bit.  I would suggest this book even to those without religious ties, because the entire story is so worth reading.

What About You?  Do you like biographies/autobiographies (why/why not)?  Was there ever a book you were given to read you thought you would not enjoy and ended up enjoying immensely?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book. I think autobiographies can be great, if done correctly and with an interesting life. I don't think I've ever found a book I thought I wouldn't like but then ended up liking. I usually can tell right away.

    Good luck with the challenge!

    Dianna Fielding
    Sociologyfornerds.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes have started a book and not been able to finish it because it has bored me. Occasionally, I dislike a book but persevere and discover I am glad to have done so. Sometimes I read a book I don't like but find compelling - 'We need to talk about Kevin' is an example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really intriguing. I read "Mountains Beyond Mountains" recently, which is about Paul Farmer, this doctor who co-founded Partners in Health (PIH) and who's done all this amazing work in Haiti and Peru and Russia and... mainly Haiti. I was hesitant about it at first, but it's really great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings to you, Liz!

    Found your blog on Tossing It Out- so I decided to stop by! Very glad I did!

    The book sounds touching! Yes, I always like to hear about peoples stories! Since we are all of one fabric I'm sure we can all learn from everyone's sufferings and life lessons.


    http://bettyalark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete