Friday, April 27, 2012

X- X-Men

So again, I am kind of a nerd (or really cool, depending on who you ask).

These are the X-Men I grew up with.

I have loved the X-Men since I was a small child.  I used to get up early on the weekend, back when cartoons were awesome (because let's face it, cartoons now are crap), and watch cartoons with my brothers.  We would watch everything: Incredible Hulk, Spiderman, Batman, and X-Men.

There was something even then that drew me in and made me want to be special, to be one of the kickass female powerhouses.  I even had my first ever crush on anyone (and it was a cartoon character!) on Gambit...still have a soft-spot for him (and I must say that while Taylor Kitsch is attractive, he did not do the character justice in the movie).

I read the comics, I watched the shows, I watched the movies, I watched the X-Men Evolution series, and I even own a book about canon.  They have been a part of my childhood and my adult life (I dressed as Rogue for Halloween a few times and the movies are a must see for me...but so are most Marvel movies).  I think having the strong female characters as a role model from a young age was probably good for me.

The newer, not as good, version.  X-Men Evolution

My favorite characters are Gambit and Rogue...though Phoenix was close and  Lady Deathstrike always piqued my interest.

What About You?  Who is your favorite X-Man character?  What super power do you wish you could have?

6 comments:

  1. It's a great universe -- it really inspires fan creativity, too :) I always liked Rogue the best. I think if I got a super power, it would either be teleportation (clearly useful) or flight (with wings! and not feathers on my arms -- freakin' WINGS from the shoulder-blades.) I've never been able to decide between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Marvel universe. Do you like teleportation Nightcrawler style? If you like wings, I don't know how versed you are in X-Men, but you should check out Angel/Archangel! I think if I could have a power it would be energy maniuplation, I used to RP that in several storylines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Nightcrawler style, but without the physical transformation -- don't want to be blue or have a tail, although his wall-sticking ability is awesome. The characters I know the most about are Rogue, Wolverine, Doctor Xavier, and Magneto. 'Cause, you know, they have some dead awesome story-lines. I don't know much about Angel, but his scene in X-Men: The Final Stand where he crashes out the window and flies away is FREAKING AWESOME. That's probably my favorite scene in that whole film. I don't know how anybody could watch that scene without being both (1) super-happy he escaped and (2) insanely jealous of those wings!

      Energy manipulation in what way?

      Delete
  3. Energy manipulation in the way of being able to transfer energy through touch: give people my own energy in order to heal/being able to pull energy from other people to use. I think it's a cool idea and have put a lot of thought/limits on it when I RP it, otherwise it just goes into "oh, I touch you and you die" which is lame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see! Very cool - and yes, the "I touch you and you die" aspect of that is a bummer. Energy manipulation is definitely a cool superpower. I've heard of it, just didn't know what it was called. I'm now thinking of a book I just read "Shatter Me" and an alien race in the Stargate Atlantis show - Wraiths.

      Delete
  4. i wish i could do whatever i wanted to do all the time---and my boys lived and breathed x-men!

    ReplyDelete