Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V-Very Merry Unbirthday

We take birthdays way too seriously...

Grant Wood's painting American Gothic
either that or we do not take every day seriously enough.  

http://ania-tomicka.webnode.com/products/silly-paintings/

I feel like everyone should celebrate unbirthdays a few days out of every year (depends on how many you want to do)!  I think setting aside an evening to exchange small gifts, cook dinner together, and watch a movie or have friends over is a wonderful way to celebrate life and the gifts it brings.  So the next time someone asks you to do something and you think "Oh, I don't have time" you should pause and think, this person wants to celebrate an unbirthday and I am special enough to be invited!  You will not always be able to go, but it will put things into perspective and turn a lot of "Oh, I wish I had done that"s into "I'm so glad we got to do that together"s.  

If you want to go all out, you could even have an unbirthday party and invite lots of people and have a silly gift exchange and go all out (maybe even Alice in Wonderland costumes would be fun if you are a costume party person)!  You might make some dear friends and have unforgettable memories.

And for those of you who have no idea where I got this idea:


What About You?  What do you think about celebrating unbirthdays?  How would you celebrate your ideal unbirthday?

4 comments:

  1. Nicely put! We should celebrate more. One of the reasons I love my town so much is they love to celebrate stuff and throw parades! It's almost overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the sentiment, but I think most people don't take birthdays seriously enough! My friends are surprised when I remember their birthdays -- like they thought their birthday wasn't important enough for me to make a note of. Your husband is guilty of that one :P My family is very big into birthdays.

    I like the idea of unbirthdays though. I love throwing (small) parties and that's something I'm very much looking forward to doing when Jonathan and I have our own place someday in the future. When my friends Alyssa and Megan were still in DC, we'd get together and have dinner parties. Alyssa loved experimenting with new dishes, and they're both vegetarian which made things slightly more complicated in an interesting and fun way. Cooking with friends is fun! I used to do it in high school too -- I would time the food so that when people showed up, it would be not quite done and there would still be stuff left to do. I could always tell the best people though, because they'd show up an hour EARLIER and say "I thought you could use some help" and even though, yeah I could do it on my own, it's just more fun to cook with friends :)

    I think all of my unbirthdays would involve food experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it's a great idea--but these days there are hardly times to celebrate ones real birthday--i usually do a family dinner of sorts---i enjoyed your post very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! It is so easy to save trying to get together for the bigger events when so many people are trying to juggle being at so many different places. It makes sense to make an event of just getting together with loved ones.

    Dropping by from A to Z; it's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete